At a Transportation Technology Conference at the Texas A&M University Transportation Institute, Shell Lubricants took a break from the theoretical discussion on the future of trucking to offer a new Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 heavy-duty engine oil.
According to Dan Acry, Shell Rotella’s global OEM technical manager, the newly blended oil is specially formulated to provide hardworking protection under the full range of pressures and temperatures in mobile natural gas engines as well as diesel and gasoline engines. Arcy added that the hew oil is particularly relevant for waste haul trucks and buses operating with 100 percent compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) fueled engines.
“Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 meets the specifications for natural gas, diesel and gasoline engines, making it a true multi-vehicle engine oil that will help fleets consolidate the number of engine oils they need in their shop,” added Megan Pino, Shell Rotella Global Brand Manager. “We continually look at the needs of fleets and develop engine oils to keep their vehicles performing well while helping to minimize maintenance complexities.”
Natural engines, with their spark combustion, run significantly hotter than diesel engines. Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 has been specially formulated for use in natural gas-powered vehicles in order to manage their high heat and provide the necessary engine protection.
However, Arcy noted, the fact that the new oil can be used by fleets for multiple engine types helps fleets work smarter and more cost effectively. “We know fleets don’t like to carry multiple engine oil grades,” he said. “It increases the risk of misapplication during oil changes and increases costs in terms of purchasing and storage with additional tanks. Shell Rotella T4 NG eliminates those problems.”
According to Arcy, Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 offers several key benefits for fleets:
- Advanced Piston and Engine Cleanliness – An optimized balance of detergent and dispersancy provides good piston and engine cleanliness and ensures long and efficient operation.
- Ignition System Protection – The formulation contains additives to control the deposit formulation in the combustion chamber to help prolong the life of valves and spark plugs.
- Emissions System Compatibility – The low ash formulation helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate filters found on the latest low emission vehicles.
- Suitable for Natural Gas, Diesel and Gasoline engines – Mixed fleets can benefit from using one oil for multiple engine type, thus minimizing maintenance complexity.
The specifications, approvals and recommendations for Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 include:
- API CK-4
- API SN
- Cummins CES 20092 (replacing CES 20085 which becomes obsolete December 31, 2019)
- Cummins CES 20086
- Detroit Diesel DFS 93K222
- Mack EO-S 4.5
- Volvo VDS-4.5