June 10, 2021. Sempra Energy has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), providing a framework for a joint effort to advance future net-zero energy systems. The MOU, which builds off nearly 10 years of ongoing collaboration, will continue current work researching and developing innovative solutions to help shape a lower-carbon future through technology and applications capable of withstanding increasing energy demand and broad adoption while advancing future innovation.
“To achieve global carbon-neutrality, energy systems will need to transform dramatically over the coming decades. Our partnership with NREL drives forward a vision to advance the energy systems of the future by focusing on innovation and resiliency,” said Lisa Alexander, Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs and Chief Sustainability Officer for Sempra Energy. “New investment and innovative partnerships are critical to developing solutions that will manifest a global energy transition while promoting economic growth and prosperity.”
“Building on our strong history of collaboration, we are excited to accelerate our work with Sempra to advance clean energy solutions,” said Doug Arent, Executive Director for Strategic Public-Private Partnerships at NREL. “Researching key synergies across power, low carbon fuels and industrial sectors are expected to provide critical innovations toward realizing a low carbon, equitable, affordable, secure and reliable energy economy.”
Under the MOU, which is not legally binding but sets forth a framework for cooperation, Sempra Energy and NREL will coordinate and share objectives focused on:
- Advancing artificial intelligence to scale solutions across the U.S. and enable cities to reach clean energy goals;
- Integrating low-carbon fuel solutions, including hydrogen, renewable natural gas, carbon capture, utilization and sequestration, and fuel cells;
- Exploring innovative solutions towards 100% renewable energy communities, requiring and implementing smart and enhanced controls, integration and operational capabilities as a blueprint for expansion;
- Enhancing electric grids with technology that upgrades the infrastructure with a focus on reliability, connectivity and security; and
- Promoting viable net-zero solutions that are delivered with equity and widespread community access.
Sempra Energy looks forward to working with NREL to help decarbonize industries, homes and energy and transportation systems, while continuing to deliver resilient, reliable and sustainable energy in every market it serves and to consumers around the world.